||I-75 at Exit 359,
fourteen miles north of St Ignace
Island at "Four Corners," south of the community of Drummond (at cnr of East Channel Rd, South Shore Rd, Townline Rd & Johnswood Rd)
||Route Map of M-134
||For forty years, M-134 ended
in DeTour Village, but was extended onto Drummond Island in 1988, using the
Drummond Island Ferry between DeTour Village and the island. Thus, M-134
is one of only three state highways on islands in Michigan, with the others
being M-154 on
Harsens Island and M-185 on Mackinac Island.
||The "33.19 miles" listed as this highway's
length includes the Drummond Island Ferry between DeTour Village and Drummond
|| M-134 as the North Huron Byway was the first route to be designated under the revamped and redesignated Pure Michigan Byways program. It had been under study since 2006 and a Corridor Management Plan was created in 2010 by the Eastern U.P. Regional Planning & Development Commission using the designation "M-134 North Huron Recreational Heritage Route." However, when the process finally proceeded to the implementation phase, it was officially unveiled on October 16, 2015 as the "North Huron Byway."
(Nov 19) – A new 6-mile long state trunkline is determined in
Missaukee Co, beginning at M-66 three
miles north of downtown Mc Bain and proceeding easterly via Falmouth Rd to
Forward Rd near Falmouth, where it
terminates. This new route is assigned the designation M-134.
||1930 (Dec 2) – A 0.7-mile extension of M-134 northerly via Forward Rd
from Falmouth Rd to Prosper Rd at Falmouth is officially determined as a trunkline route.
||1938 (Dec 6) – All 6.7 miles of M-134 in Missaukee Co are turned back to
local control on this date after being in existence for just over a decade.
||1939 – In early 1939, almost immediately after being removed from Missaukee
Co, the M-134 route designation reappears, this time in the Upper Peninsula.
At the time of redesignation, M-134 supplants the M-4 routing from US-2/Mackinac
Tr easterly via St Ignace Rd to Three Mile Rd, southerly via Three Mile into
Hessel, then easterly via present-day M-134 and State Ave to Blind Line Rd,
southerly via Blind Line, easterly again via present-day M-134/North Huron
Shore Dr through Cedarville to the first encounter with the Mackinac/Chippewa
Co line, 2 miles east of Port Dolomite. From there easterly via the Lake
Huron shoreline toward De Tour Village, M-134 (formerly M-4) is in the early
stages of construction.
||1940-42 – Grading and initial surfacing on the
easterly extension of M-134 from the first encounter with the Mackinac/Chippewa
Co line east of Port
Dolomite to a connection with M-48 ten
miles west of De Tour Village is completed, although the final aggregate
surfacing would not be laid down until 1942.
||1949 (Nov 7) – A new segment of state trunkline,
designated as an easterly extension of M-134, is determined running close
to the Lake Huron Shore from the point where M-134 turns northerly to meet M-48 west
of De Tour Village (at Albany Harbor) easterly for 10.2 miles into De Tour
Village to the existing route of M-48 at
the cnr of Dawson & Ontario Sts. On this same day, the
route of M-48 from jct M-134 (present
day cnr South Lake Caribou Rd & M-48)
easterly via South Lake Caribou Rd & Dawson St into De Tour Village is
officially turned back to local control. The 2.3-mile segment of what had
formerly been M-134 between Albany Harbor and M-48/South
Caribou Lake Rd is redesignated as a southerly rerouting of M-48,
which now terminates at M-134 near Albany Harbor.
||1951 – A portion of the segment of M-134 between
Hessel and Cedarville is realigned to bypass a set of 90º corners at Blind
Line Rd onto its present-day alignment. Blind Line Rd south from State Ave,
and State Ave for 1 mile west of Blind Line are transferred to local control.
||1958 (Jul 29) – Nearly all of the western third
of the highway is realigned onto its present-day shoreline alignment from
Hessel westerly back to its
previous route approximately two miles east of US-2/Mackinac
Tr. The former route via St Ignace Rd easterly to Three Mile Rd, then southerly
Mile to Hessel is turned back to local control.
||1988 (Sept 22) – M-134 is rerouted in De Tour Village and simultaneously
extended easterly across the De Tour Passage and onto Drummond Island, easterly
to the "Four Corners" area, 8 miles from the Ferry Dock and just
south of the community of Drummond. At De Tour Village, the two blocks of
Dawson St from Ontario St easterly to Huron St (at the "Dawson Dock")
are transferred to local control, while Ontario St northerly from Dawson
for two blocks to Elizabeth St and Elizabeth east two blocks to the Drummond
Island Ferry Dock is assumed into the trunkline system.
||2015 (Oct 16) – The North Huron Byway is the first route to be designated under the revamped and redesignated Pure Michigan Byways program. Under study since 2006 and with a Corridor Management Plan created in 2010, what had been originally developed as the "M-134 North Huron Recreational Heritage Route" is was officially unveiled as the "North Huron Byway" at an announcement at the Clark Township Community Center in
||Lake Huron Circle Tour: From western terminus at I-75 to M-48 west of DeTour Village.
||Lake Huron Circle Tour LOOP: From M-48 west of DeTour Village into DeTour Village.
|Pure Michigan Byway:
|| North Huron Byway – The entire length of M-134 was dedicated as the North Huron Byway on October 16, 2015.
||No portion of M-134 is freeway or expressway.
||No portion of M-134 is on the National Highway System.