Michigan Highways: Since 1997.

Michigan Highways website header graphic
Back to Previous Route:
M-29
M-30 Route Marker On to Next Route:
US-31
Southern Terminus:    M-20/Isabella Rd, 6.3 miles west of downtown Midland
Northern Terminus:    M-55/BL I-75 on the western edge of West Branch (cnr Court St & Houghton Ave)
Length: Updated 51.353 miles
Maps: Route Map of M-30
Notes: In 1962, all of M-30 south of US-10 at Sanford to M-46 was removed and turned back to county control. Then in 2009, three miles of that same segment was returned to state control as a re-extension of M-30 back to M-20!
  New! In "State Trunkline Needs, 1960–1980," a set of maps prepared by the State Highway Dept's Office of Planning, Programming Division in 1960 showing possible additions, upgrades and improvements to the state trunkline system over the ensuing twenty years, MSHD staff made one very major recommendation for the route of M-30: Get rid of it. The planners at the MSHD apparently felt that M-30—which ran from M-46 on the Gratiot/Saginaw Co line between Breckenridge and Merrill at that time northerly to M-55/M-76 at West Branch—was unworthy of being a state trunkline highway and marked it on the 1960 planning maps as a "turnback route." Very soon after, the portion of M-30 south of US-10 at Sanford was turned back to county control, while the rest of the route remained a state trunkline highway. Then nearly 50 years later, M-30 was re-extended back to M-20 west of Midland.
History: c.1920 – M-30 runs roughly along its present-day route, but only north of Van Dyke Rd, five miles south of Winegars in southern Gladwin Co. South of that point, the road is designated as part of M-18, as was present-day Van Dyke Rd.
  1927 (Feb 8) M-18 is extended due south from Beaverton and the M-30 designation is then applied to all of the former M-18 routing from M-30 southerly through Edenville and Sanford to end at M-46 two miles west of Merrill. The former M-18 along Van Dyke Rd between Beaverton and M-30 is re-designated as M-80.
  c.1952 – A new alignment opens just south of M-55/M-76 southwest of West Branch, smoothing out a pair of sharp curves.
  1960 New alignment opens near Elk Lake in northern Gladwin County.
  1961 The final 15 miles of gravel-surfaced M-30 are paved, from Sanford to the Midland/Saginaw Co line.
  1962 All of M-30 south of the new US-10 freeway at Sanford is removed from the state highway system with a new southern terminus at the US-10 freeway. Old M-30 south to M-46 is turned back to county control.
  2007 (Nov) Until this time, Meridian Rd (the former route of M-30 prior to 1962) did not connect directly through to Saginaw Rd (the former route of US-10 prior to 1961) at Sanford in central Midland County. When M-30 still ran along this corridor, the M-30 routing approached from the south via Meridian Rd before curving west for one mile on Wackerly Rd, then curving back north via 7 Mile Rd and intersecting Saginaw Rd on the west side of Sanford. M-30 then ran concurrently with US-10 along Saginaw Rd back to Meridian Rd and continued northerly into Gladwin Co. Starting in November 2007, the Midland Co Road Commission begins constructing a new 1,170-foot long, $7.7-million bridge spanning the Tittabawassee River and the Pere Marquette State Trail to directly connect the two discontinuous segments of Meridian Rd.
  2008 (Oct 31) The new Meridian Rd bridge over the Tittabawassee River and the Pere Marquette State Trail is completed and opens to traffic.
  2009 (May 13) Meridian Rd—both the former portions of pre-1962 M-30 from Saginaw Rd (Old US-10) north and from Wackerly Rd south and the new, mile-long Tittawabassee River bridge—is transferred from county to state control and becomes a (re-)extension of M-30 from the US-10 freeway southerly to M-20/Isabella Rd. This increases the length of M-30 from 46.43 miles to 51.353 miles.
Controlled Access: No portion of M-30 is freeway or expressway.
NHS: No portion of M-30 is on the National Highway System (NHS).
Photographs:  
Weblinks:
Back to M-29 Route Listings Home On to US-31