|Back to Previous Route:
|On to Next Route:
|Southern Terminus:||Indiana state line 3 miles south of Sturgis (connection w/IN SR-9)|
|Northern Terminus:||US-31 on the south side of Charlevoix|
|Maps:||Route Map of M-66|
|Notes:||M-66 runs the length of the Lower Peninsula, the only "M-numbered" route to do so.|
|Historically, the original route of M-66 ran along what would someday become M-91 in its entirety—beginning at M-16 (present-day M-21) in downtown Lowell, M-66 continued northeasterly to Belding, then northerly through Greenville and Langston, ending at M-46 near Lakeview (M-91's present-day northern terminus). In the 1920s, M-66 was extended far to the north, first to Kalkaska Co then all the way to Charlevoix. A later extension in the 1930s took it south to meet US-16 south of Lowell. Then during World War II, the State Highway Dept redesignated all of M-14 from M-46 southerly through Stanton, Ionia and Nashville, to end north of Battle Creek, with what had been M-66 from Lakeview to Lowell given the M-91 designation.. Then in 1965, M-66 was once again extended southerly, this time replacing much of M-78 from Battle Creek to the Indiana state line south of Sturgis.|
| In "State Trunkline Needs, 1960–1980," a set of maps prepared by the State Highway Dept's Office of Planning, Programming Division in 1960 showing possible additions, upgrades and improvements to the state trunkline system over the ensuing twenty years, MSHD staff recommended several changes to M-66 during that timeframe:
|History:||1915 (Sept 1) – A 13.3-mile long state trunkline highway route is officially determined in Montcalm Co and consists of two segments. The first begins on the Ionia/Montcalm Co line northwest of Belding and continues northerly for 3.1 mile along Greenville Rd to the southern limits of the City of Greenville. The second segment begins at the northern Greenville city limit and continues northerly via Greeville Rd for 10.2 miles to the Montcalm/Pine Twp line, approximately 1½ miles south of the community of Langston.
This new trunkline route is designated as T.L. 66 (Trunk Line 66).
|1915 (Sept 8) – 6.3 miles of additional trunkline route is determined from the northern end of T.L. 66 (as determined one week earlier) on the Montcalm/Pine Twp line, continuing northerly via Greenville Rd through Langston, terminating on the Pine/Cato Twp line approximately 4½ miles north of Langston.
|1915 (Sept 27) – 19 days later, T.L. 66 is extended with 4.0 miles of new trunkline route is assumed into the system beginning at the north end of the route on the Pine/Cato Twp line continuing northerly for 1 mile on Greenville Rd, then turning westerly for 3 miles on Deaner Rd to the Cato/Winfield Twp line.
|1915 (Oct 6) – A week and a half later, an additional 6.2 miles of state trunkline route is determined along Deaner Rd throughout Winfield Twp from the Cato Twp line on the east to the Reynolds Twp line (and the Howard City village limit) on the west, and added to T.L. 66. The route now runs from south of Greenville northerly, then westerly to Howard City.
|1916 (Sept 8) – T.L. 46 is officially determined as a state trunkline highway route beginning at the cnr of Greenville Rd & Deaner Rd in southern Cato Twp south of Lakeview and continues northerly to Lakeview before heading east toward Edmore and Vestaburg. The portion of T.L. 66 along Deaner Rd from Greenville Rd west through Cato and Winfield Twps is transferred to the route of T.L. 46. T.L. 66 is now 17.5 miles in length.
|1917 (Aug 20) – The length of T.L. 66 is nearly doubled when 14.8 miles of state trunkline highway route is determined in Kent Co (2.5 miles from the northern Lowell city limit to the Kent/Ionia Co line) along Flat River Rd and in Ionia Co (12.3 miles from the Kent/Ionia Co line to the southern Belding city limit) via Sayles, Marble, Potters, Feuerstein, Richmond, Miriam, Krupp, and Zahm Rds. The route of T.L. 66 now exists in three segements: from the north Lowell city limit to the south Belding city limit, from the Ionia/Montcalm Co line to the south Greenville city limit, and from the north Greenville city limit to T.L. 46 south of Lakeview.
|1919 (July 1) – T.L. 66 is signed in the field as M-66 as all state trunkline highways in Michigan are signed with route markers. While there are gaps in the officially determined state trunkline route within the cities of Lowell and Greenville and through Belding and on to the Ionia/Montcalm Co line, those gaps, consisting of locally-controlled roadway segments, are still signed as part of the route of M-66.|
|1919 (July 24) – The gap in the officially-determined state trunkline route of M-66 at Belding is filled when 4.2 miles of new trunkline are officially assumed into the system. From the southern city limit, the trunkline now continues northerly along Bridge St through downtown, then westerly via Ellis St/Ellis Rd, then northerly again via Storey Rd to the Ionia/Montcalm Co line.|
|1919 (Aug 19) – The gap in the officially-determined trunkline route of M-66 through the City of Greenville is bridged when the 2.0 miles of Lafayette St is transferred to state control.|
|1919 (Aug 26) – M-46 is transferred onto a new alignment between Lakeview and Howard City in Montcalm Co and the route of M-66 is extended northerly from its terminus at Deaner Rd along Greenville Rd (the former route of M-46) for an additional 2½ miles to a new terminus at M-46/Howard City-Edmore Rd just south of Lakeview.|
|1923 (July 6) – M-66 is lengthened by 67.3 miles through a mixture of concurrency with another trunkline route, by taking over the route of an existing trunkline highway, and via a significant segment of newly-determined state trunkline routing. From the former terminus of M-66 at M-46 at Lakeview, M-66 is extended to run easterly for 6.0 miles via M-46 from Lakeview to Six Lakes in Montcalm Co. From there, M-66 turns northerly to supplant the entire route of the existing M-86 from M-46 in Six Lakes northerly for 11.8 miles to M-24 (present-day M-20) in Remus. Simultaneously, 49.5 miles of new trunkline highway are assumed into the system from M-24 (now M-20) in Remus in Mecosta Co northerly through Barryton, Marion in Osceola Co, and McBain in Missaukee Co, to a new terminus at M-55 south of Lake City.|
|1924 (May 29) / – The route of M-66 is again extended northerly, this time by 30.2 miles. From the jct with M-55 in Missaukee Co south of Lake City, M-66 now continues northerly concurrently with M-55 through Lake City for 5.1 miles. When M-55 turns easterly toward Houghton Lake, M-66 continues northerly via a newly-determined 12.0-mile segment of state trunkline highway through Morey to M-74 at Pioneer. From Pioneer, the M-74 designation is supplanted by the M-66 routing northerly into Kalkaska Co, ending at M-13 (later M-131 and US-131) in Lodi, six miles south of Kalkaska.|
|1924 (June 18) – A 3.5-mile long segment of the officially determined route of M-66 (formerly part of M-74 until three weeks prior) in northern Missaukee Co from jct M-74 at Pioneer northwesterly and northerly to the Kalkaska Co line is cancelled as a state trunkline routing, while a parallel 2.9 mile route is simultaneously assumed into the system from Pioneer northerly via present day Old M-66/Burkett Rd. The cancelled route was never physically constructed, while the newly-determined route was likely the existing, signed route.|
|1927 (Feb 7) – 3.2 miles of new state trunkline route is officially determined and added to the route of M-66, beginning in Lowell at the cnr of Hudson St & Bowes St and continuing southerly via Hudson St and Segwun Ave to US-16/Cascade Rd (one mile east of jct US-16 & M-50), the new southern terminus for M-66. The route of M-66 through Lowell is signed along city-maintained streets for continuity.|
|1927 (June 29) – The route of M-66 in southern Kalkaska Co is adjusted when a 2.4-mile route is determined along the section line between Sections 28 & 29 and 32 & 33 of T.25N.,R.7W. to the present-day intersection of River Rd & Jack's Landing Rd, then southwesterly along the the former route of M-66 to the Missaukee Co line. The former official alignment runs to the east of the newly-designated alingment from the River Rd & Jack's Landing Rd intersection northerly to Lund Rd, then westerly via Lund Rd back to the new alignment, but evidence shows no actual roadway was ever constructed along this official alignment. The Manistee River bridge along this new alignment will be completed in 1931, although it's likely an existing, locally-constructed bridge spanned the river at that location prior to that time.|
|1928 (June 28) – The length of M-66 is increased by 32.7 miles when a new 16.4-mile segment of new state trunkline highway is determined beginng at M-131 (now US-131) at the cnr of Mancelona-East Jordan Rd & Scholl Rd north of Manceola northerly to the southern limits of the City of East Jordan in Charlevoix Co at the cnr of Maple St (present-day M-32) & Fair Rd, and given the designation M-66. Additionally, the 16.3-mile segment of M-131 from M-66 & M-72 in downtown Kalkaska northerly to Mancelona-East Jordan Rd & Scholl Rd north of Manceola is concurrently designated with M-66 to fill the gap between the existing M-66 and the new segment.
|1930 (Nov 22) – The route of M-131/M-66 from Kalkaska northerly to the Antrim Co line follows a heavily "stair-stepped" 11.2-mile route: northerly via Beebe Rd, easterly along Doorman Rd, northerly on Holly Rd, easterly via Phelps Rd into Leetsville, northerly via Leetsville Rd, easterly along Wood Rd, northerly on Day Rd, easterly via Plum Valley Rd, notherly on Wheeler Lake Rd, easterly along Westwood Rd into Westwood, then northeasterly via Maple St to the county line, where it continues into Antrim via Mackinac Trail. On this date, a new alignment for the official route of M-131/M-66 is determined running northeasterly from Kalkaska closely paralleling the Grand Rapids & Indiana RR (later Pennsylvania RR, now Great Lakes Central RR) to the west, similar to the path it would take between South Boardman and Kalkaska a decade later. As much of this new alignment is unconstructed, the signed route of M-131/M-66 likely remains along the previous "stair-step" route for the time being.|
|1930 (Dec 6) – 15.5 miles of new state trunkline highway route are officially assumed into the system as a northerly extension of M-66, from the southern limits of East Jordan northwesterly to US-31 at the cnr of Antrim St & Bridge St in downtown Charlevoix. At this point, two segments of the highway had not yet been physically constructed:
|1931 – Act 131 of 1931—the Dykstra Act—is passed allowing the State Highway Dept to take over control of state highways running into and through incorporated cities, thereby officially incorporating them as state trunkline highways. The following segment of formerly city-controlled street is assumed into the system as part of M-66:|
|1931 (Aug 31) – The 11.1-mile official trunkline routing for M-131/M-66 between Kalkaska and the community of Antrim just south of Mancelona, running closely parallel to the GR&I RR line, determined just nine months prior, is officially cancelled as a state trunkline route without any actual construction ocurring. Taking its place, a new 11.5-mile long M-131/M-66 trunkline route is determined between Kalkaska and Antril, farther to the west of the previous one. Construction on the new alignment is completed in 1932, however, with M-131/M-66 traffic remaining on the pre-1930 "stair-step" route until that time.
|1932 (Oct 29) – The route of US-31 as it approaches Charlevoix from the southwest is relocated onto a new trunkline alignment, running easterly from Barnard Rd via Stover Rd, then curving northerly to merge into Bridge St at Carpenter St where it met the official (but yet unbuilt) alignment of M-66. The new US-31 route now continues northerly along Bridge St to Antrim Rd where it rejoins its former route. As such, the "official" route of M-66 now terminates at US-31 at the cnr of Bridge St & Carpenter St in Charlevoix, although the "Marked and Maintained" route for M-66 remains along the Ferry–Stover–May–Garfield route, terminating at US-31 at the cnr of Bridge & Garfield. The length of M-66 is effectively shortened by 4½ blocks.|
|1935 (Oct 22) – Four separate segments of M-66 are realigned in Antrim and Charlevoix Cos:
|1939 – The concurrent M-66/M-131 segment from Lodi south of Kalkaska to Mancelona changes to a concurrent US-131/M-66 routing when all of M-131 from Fife Lake to Petoskey is redesignated as a northerly extension of US-131.|
|1938 (Dec 6) – A new 3.45-mile alignment for M-46 in the Six Lakes area of north-central Montcalm Co is determined running from Miles Rd west of Six Lakes to Holland Rd to the east. The M-66 designation runs concurrently with M-46 on this new alignment from Miles Rd easterly to Six Lakes Rd, where it turns northerly to continue for 0.29 miles along a segment of Six Lakes Rd which is now transferred to State control. The former route of M-46/M-66 along Fleck Rd from M-66/Six Lakes Rd westerly is turned back to County control.|
|1938 (Dec 6) – The remaining gap in the officially-determined route of M-66 in Lowell is filled when 0.7 mile of Riverside Dr from the north city limit (where the official route of M-66 continues northerly along Flat River Dr) then southerly to M-21/Main St, where M-66 turns westerly for one block to Hudson St where the determined route of M-66 re-commences and continues southerly.|
|1939 (July 13) – Most of the route of M-66 officially determined within the City of Lowell along Riverside Dr seven months prior (from Hunt St southerly to M-21/Main St) is cancelled as a state trunkline routing. Simultaneously, the 0.7 mile of Hunt St (from Riverside Dr west to N Hudson St) and N Hudson St (from Hunt St south to M-21/Main St) is transferred to state control as part of M-66.|
|1939 (July 13) – A new 0.7-mile curving alignment for M-66 north of Six Lakes in Montcalm Co is officially assumed into the state trunkline system, removing two 90º turns on the former 0.9-mile long route along Old Six Lakes Rd and Cutler Rd, which is transferred to county control.|
|1940 (Nov 12) – A new direct alignment for US-131 in Kalkaska Co between South Boardman and Kalkaska is completed and opened to traffic. The transfer of the former route of US-131 from South Boardman easterly to M-66 at Lodi back to County control also signals the removal of the concurrent US-131 designation from M-66 on the Lodi-to-Kalkaska segment as well.|
|1942 (April 13) – During the early stages of the U.S. involvement in World War II, the State Highway Dept removes the entire M-14 designation from the state trunkline system and replaces it with a rerouting of M-66 south of Six Lakes. Instead of heading westerly via M-46 from Six Lakes, M-66 now heads easterly via M-46 for 3 miles, then southerly replacing M-14 through Stanton, Ionia, Nashville and Assyria, ending at M-78 seven miles north of downtown Battle Creek. The former concurrent M-46/M-66 designation between Lakeview and Six Lakes becomes just M-46, while all of the former routing of M-66 from US-16 south of Lowell through Lowell, Belding and Greenville to M-46 at Lakeview is redesignated M-91.|
|1949 (Nov 10) – A new 1.9-mile long segment of state trunkline highway is determined to replace a winding 2.0-mile long segment in the 28 Lakes/Price Lake area of Kalkaska Co's Orange Twp, between McGee and Lodi, from south of Montgomery Rd to north of the northern intersection with Blue Heron Dr. The former alignment is abandoned as a public road and obliterated, which also replaces eight curves—some of them sharp—in the highway's route with four very gradual ones.|
|1951 (July 19) – A new 0.5-mile curving alignment for M-66 north of Marion on the Osceola/Missaukee Co line is officially assumed into the state trunkline system, removing one 90º and two 45º turns on the former 0.3-mile long route. The former route along 30th Ave from the new alignment of M-66 northerly to County Line Rd and County Line Rd from 30th Ave west to the new M-66 is turned back to county jurisdiction. The portion of the former route of M-66 to the west of the new alignment is obliterated and abandoned as a public roadway.|
|1953 (Nov 6) – M-66 is rerouted between Maple Grove and M-79 south of Nashville onto brand new alignment. The former route of M-66 (Assyria Rd) from Maple Grove to Lawrence Rd is turned back to local control, as is the former stretch of M-66/M-79 (Lawrence Rd) from Assyria Rd easterly to the southern (formerly eastern) jct of M-66 & M-79 south of Nashville. With the realignment, M-79 is altered to run concurrently with M-66 from the cnr of Lawrence Rd & Clark Rd south of Nashville northerly into Nashville, when M-79 turns westerly replacing M-214 toward Hastings.|
|1955 (Aug 3) – M-66 is realigned in northeastern Barry Co to run northeasterly from the cnr of Carleton Center Rd (designated as M-43 on this same date) & Clark Rd to the corner of Saddlebag Lake Rd & Lakehead Rd/Saginaw Hwy along the Eaton/Barry Co line, then northerly for 1 mile to the cnr of Saddlebag Lake Rd & Brown Rd/Grand Ledge Hwy (M-50) in Woodbury to meet back up with M-66. M-43 is concurrently designated on this new route as well. The former routing of M-66 via Clark Rd is turned back to County control and the former concurrent M-43/M-50/M-66 designation on Brown Rd becomes just M-50.|
|1957 – In mid-1957, the final 11 miles of gravel-surfaced M-66 are paved, from Nashville to M-43 in eastern Barry Co.|
|1963 – The northernmost 14 miles of M-66 are now concurrently designated with an extension of M-32 north of East Jordan.|
|1963 (Aug 11–15) – Up to this time, M-66 deviated west of its otherwise straight route through between Kalkaska and Lodi from ¼ south of Thomas Rd to Prairie Ln. A new, direct 0.44-mile alignment is determined as a state trunkline route, while the former 0.54-mile curving alignment along present-day Old M-66 (or Steve Rd) is initially retained as an unsigned state trunkline alingment for four days, being transferred to County control on Aug 15.
For reasons not yet clear, the Aug 15 transfer of the former alignment of M-66 to County control is "voided" and remains an unsigned trunkline for 16 more years.
|1965 (June 2, July 28) – A 50-mile southerly extension of M-66 from the Pennfield area in Calhoun Co to the Indiana state line in Saint Joseph Co is also accompanied by two other major highway route changes associated with this new extension:
|1967 (June 30) – After 37 years going unbuilt, the northernmost 1.2 miles of the officially-determined route of M-66 at Charlevoix from Ferry Ave northwesterly to its official terminus at US-31/Bridge St & Carpenter Ave is cancelled as a state trunkline route. In its place, a new 0.86-mile alignment is officially assumed into the state trunkline system beginning at Ferry Ave and continuing northwesterly to US-31 at State St. The M-66 route markers are removed from the formerly "Marked and Maintained" route of M-66 along Ferry Ave, Stover Rd, May St, and Garfield Ave and maintenance is returned to the County and City (as it was never officially transferred to State control).|
|1972 (June 30) – The routes of M-66 and M-78 through the intersection of those two routes in the Pennfield area of Calhoun Co northeast of Battle Creek are realigned and reconfigured. As a result, 0.617 miles of the route of M-66 is removed from the state trunkline highway system, while a new alignment totalling 0.587 miles is added.|
|1972 (Sept 28) / – A 2.435-mile new trunkline route for M-66 is officially determined beginning at existing M-66 approximately ¼ mile south of Rhoby Rd at Morey in northern Missaukee Co and continuing northerly for 0.8 mile, then turning northeasterly to Phelps Rd, 0.8 mile east of Morey Rd. Associated with the same project is the relocation of M-66 onto a newly engineered and constructed roadway closely parallel to the existing roadbed but just to the west from ½ mile north of the M-42 jct northerly to ¼ mile south of Rhoby Rd at Morey. The former parallel alignment from ½ mile north of the M-42 jct northerly to ¼ mile south of Rhoby Rd is obiterated, as is the former curving alignment from halfway between Gillow Rd and Rhoby Rd northeasterly to Rhoby Rd. Most of the remaining segment from Rhoby Rd northerly and northwesterly back to the new alignment of M-66 is abandoned as a public road, with the connection back to existing M-66 north of Rhoby Rd from the south also obliterated.
The former route of M-66 along More Rd from 0.8 mile north of Rhoby Rd to Phelps Rd and Phelps Rd from Morey Rd easterly to the new alignment of M-66 is retained as an unsigned state trunkline route. In all, the realignment of M-66 shortens the length of the route by approximately ½ mile and eliminates one 90° turn in the route (although the new intersection of relocated M-66 and Phelps Rd is an approximately 45° turn. Additionally, nearly all of the land necessary to continue the realignment of M-66 from Phelps Rd northerly to the Kalkaska Co line has already been purchased by the MDSH (in 1970).
|1974 (Jan 7) – M-66/M-72 is realigned on the south side of Kalkaska onto a 0.78-mile long new highway constructed as a continuance of M-72 westerly from M-66 to US-131 southwest of downtown. M-66/M-72 then continues northeasterly via US-131 into downtown to the highways' former alignment. The former routing of M-66/M-72 via (present-day) Old M-66 and Court and Elm Sts is retained as an unsigned state trunkline highway route.|
|1974 - The eleven-year old M-32/M-66 concurrency from East Jordan to Charlevoix is removed, with M-32's western terminus scaled back to East Jordan and M-66 continuing by itself to Charlevoix.|
|1979 (Jun 15) – Related to the Aug 11–15, 1963 determination of a new, more-direct trunkline route for M-66 south of Kalkaska and the cancellation of the former route and subsequent voiding of that cancellation, a 0.13-mile cancellation of the former route of M-66 along Old M-66 (or Steve Rd) from Prairie Ln notherly occurs on this date. It is not clear if the complete original cancellation was voided in 1963 or if only a portion was, which is then officially cancelled now in 1979.|
|1980 (Nov 14) – A 5.71-mile long segment of new state trunkline routing for M-66 is officially assumed into the system in northern Missaukee Co and southern Kalkaska Co, beginning at Phelps Rd southwest of Pioneer and continuing generally northerly to approximately ½ mile north of the Manistee River bridge at Smithville, including a new bridge across the river. While the original plans (and associated lands purchased) had the highway continuing northeasterly from Phelps Rd, then curving northerly to follow the section line between Sections 8 & 9 and Sections 4 & 5, additional land began to be purchased by the MDSH&T in 1975 to take the highway farther to the east in Sec. 4, with yet more property purchased in 1979 taking the new alignment even farther east in Sec. 4 along the present-day alignment. (To the present day, MDOT still retains ownership of the original, straighter planned alignment along the section line in both counties—for reasons not entirely clear. It is also unclear why the highway was not constructed in the originally-acquired corridor.) The new alignment is 1.8 miles shorter than the one bypassed.
The former route of M-66 along Phelps Rd and Burkett Rd back to the new M-66 alignment is retained in the state trunkline highway system as an unsigned trunkline route, while the segment from New M-66 west-northwesterly to Jack's Landing Rd is abandoned as a public roadway. The last segment of the former M-66 from Jack's Landing Rd & River Rd northerly is retained as a state trunkline highway route, with the exception of the 1931 bridge over the Mainstee Rd, which is removed.
|1994 (June 7) – The 8.01-mile segment of former M-66 in northern Missaukee Co remaining as an unsigned state trunkline highway route when the 1972 and 1980 relocations of M-66 in northern Missaukee Co and southern Kalkaska Co were completed is finally turned back to County control. The segments of roadway included in the transfer are: Morey Rd from M-66 northerly to Phelps Rd, Phelps Rd easterly to Burkett Rd, and Burkett Rd from Phelps Rd northerly to the Kalkaska Co line.|
|1996 (June 4) – The 1.5-mile segment of former M-66 in southern Kalkaska Co remaining as an unsigned state trunkline highway route when the 1980 relocation of M-66 in northern Missaukee Co and southern Kalkaska Co was completed and opened to traffic is finally turned back to County control. This jurisdictional transfer MAYalso include the 0.75-mile long segment of former M-66/M-72 (Old M-66) between the southern jct of M-66 & M-72 northerly to the Kalkaska village limit.|
|1996 (Sept 3) – The 0.51-mile segment of former M-66/M-72 in the Village of Kalkaska along Elm & Court Sts remaining as an unsigned state trunkline highway route when the 1974 relocation of M-66/M-72 south of Kalkaska was completed is finally transferred to Village control.|
|Controlled Access:||M-66 is a controlled-access freeway concurrently with I-194 from I-94 (at Exit 98) to Hamblin Ave in downtown Battle Creek. (3.8 miles)|
|M-66 is a limited-access expressway from E Dr South south of Battle Creek to jct I-194 & I-94 in southeastern Battle Creek. (3.8 miles)|
|NHS:|| Three segments of M-66 are on the National Highway System (NHS).:
|Continue on:||SR-9 into Indiana – via the Indiana Highway Ends website|
|Back to M-65||Route Listings Home||On to M-67|